PERSONAL INFORMATION & DATA PRIVACY PROTECTION POLICY
Forward Insurance Managers Ltd. is committed to protecting the privacy of our clients and being accountable for the information we collect from them.
Personal Information – information about an identifiable individual (name, age, social insurance number, sex, income or family status, and business interests). Personal Information is also information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person, or to identify an individual in context.
Contact Information - information that would enable an individual to be contacted at a place of business, including name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email, or business fax number.
Contact information is not covered by this policy or PIPEDA.
Privacy Officer – the individual designated responsibility for ensuring that Forward Insurance Managers Ltd. complies with this policy and with PIPEDA.
We are domiciled in British Columbia and required to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”). We are required to continually ensure it adequately protects the personal information in its care as technologies evolve and as new risks emerge.
What Personal Information do we collect?
In the course of conducting our business, we collect Personal Information about individuals in order to facilitate quoting, binding, and servicing of insurance products. This information may include, but is not limited to:
- Name, address, telephone number, email address, and other Contact Information;
- Age, birth date, credit card number, or license plate number;
- Medical records, credit records, driving record, or previous addresses;
- Information about insurance history, including past policies, claims, or loss history whether claimed or not; and/or
- Other information we may collect with client consent, or as permitted or required by law.
Why do we collect Personal Information?
The collection of Personal Information is essential to our ability to provide products and services that best suit the needs of our customers. Personal Information may be used to:
- Confirm identity;
- Qualify a client for coverage, determine their coverage needs, assess risk, and provide them with a quotation for requested insurance products and services;
- Evaluate credit and collect insurance premiums and fees;
- Assist with the claims process;
- Evaluate clients’ insurance needs and offer and/or provide other products that may be of interest to them or provide them with greater protection;
- Maintain business records as required;
- Meet legal, regulatory, and internal processing requirements; and/or
- Otherwise, with consent or as permitted or required by law.
When do we collect information?
How do we use the Personal Information collected online?
We may use the Personal Information we collect from clients when they register, complete an application, make a payment, sign up for our newsletter, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features in the following ways:
- To allow us to deliver content and product offerings;
- To improve our website in order to enhance the user experience;
- To allow us to better respond to customer service needs;
- To provide insurance proposals, quotations and information;
- To send periodic emails regarding a client’s order and/or our products and services;
- To determine eligibility and process applications for products and services;
- For communication, service, marketing, billing and administration;
- For claims administration and data analysis;
- For analytical purposes;
- To develop proprietary tools and features; and/or
- To comply with legal, audit, security and regulatory requirements.
Will we disclose Personal Information of clients to other parties?
When applying for insurance or other products or services, or requesting quotations, indications of premiums, or policy terms or availability of coverage, client information will be shared with third parties, including but not limited to:
- Insurance Companies;
- Other Insurance Brokers (both within and outside the company, including Lloyds’ Brokers);
- Managing General Agents (MGA’s);
- Claims Adjusters;
- Restoration Companies;
- External Accounting Firms;
- Other third parties as permitted or required by law.
Such third parties may be located in Canada or elsewhere in the world, including the United States and Europe.
We will not disclose Personal Information unless it is authorized or required by law, court order, subpoena, or search warrant. We will not sell, trade or rent Personal Information to anyone else outside Forward Insurance Managers Ltd., without client consent unless it is allowed under PIPEDA. In this case, we will aim to disclose only the specific information that is needed under the circumstances and, wherever possible, will inform you about the disclosure.
Our employees are required to keep confidential all information they may come to know during the course of their job duties. Employees are prohibited from disclosing Personal Information to third parties.
How do we protect Personal Information?
We will protect the security and confidentiality of Personal Information as is appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information collected. Personal Information is stored in confidential databases at locations in Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom. These sites have appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of Personal Information under our care; however, any information transmitted via the Internet may be intercepted by third parties. We do not assume any liability for interception, alteration, or misuse of information transmitted over the Internet.
Our service providers and agents are bound to maintain the confidentiality of Personal Information and may not use the information for any unauthorized purpose. Employees are governed by strict standards and policies to ensure that Personal Information is secure and treated with the utmost care and respect.
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party products or services on our website. Such third-party sites will have separate and independent privacy policies and we have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites.
Clients may choose whether or not to provide us with Personal Information.
From time to time, we may obtain express consent from the client to the use Personal Information. More generally, we will determine that consent has been implied by their voluntary provision of the information. Express consent can be verbal or written, including in electronic form (email). Implied consent occurs when we can assume a client has given consent by their actions, such as request for a specific product, service, or for general information to assist with their insurance buying decisions; by the provision to us, of Personal Information in that regard, we infer consent to the use of that Personal Information as is reasonable to provide the product or service requested.
If clients need to provide Personal Information about other individuals, such as employees, dependents, and sub-contractors, they must obtain their consent for these purposes prior to their disclosure of the information to us.
Clients may at any time withdraw consent by providing us with reasonable notice. They may not withdraw consent where so doing will frustrate performance of a legal obligation. Should they choose to withdraw consent, we are legally obligated to inform them of the consequences of withdrawing consent, which may result in us being unable to provide the products or services requested.
Privacy Compliance Officers
Forward Insurance Managers Ltd. has designated Privacy Compliance Officers who can answer any questions about our policies, procedures. Your concerns can be directed to:
Forward Insurance Managers Ltd.
#900 – 543 Granville St.
Vancouver, BC V6C 1X8
Forward Insurance Managers Ltd.
#900 – 543 Granville St.
Vancouver, BC V6C 1X8